Molybdenum – Top choice for thermal conductivity & heat protection
Molybdenum is a material with a silvery-white luster, reminiscent of tin. With a density of 10.22 g/cm³, it is considerably lighter than tungsten, but has a similarly high melting point (2,620°C) and boiling point (5,560°C).
This high strength, tough, hard metal has excellent thermal conductivity, low heat resistance and low degree of thermal expansion.
High performance even at the highest temperatures
Thanks to these special properties, molybdenum is indispensable in many key industries:
- Thin film transistors for photovoltaic systems require ultrathin molybdenum coating as a conductive metal layer
- Due to molybdenum’s low degree of thermal expansion, it is frequently used in the electronics industry for semiconductors and for thermal heat sinks
- Molybdenum crucibles are very well suited for growing crystals in LED production
- In high-temperature furnaces, molybdenum furnace linings provide excellent protection from heat radiation
- For highly pure types of glass, the glass industry prefers glass melting electrodes made of molybdenum
Molybdenum with consistently high quality and availability
We supply molybdenum metal powders as well as molybdenum semi-finished and finished products of the highest quality. With our experience and expertise in application technology we can provide product solutions for every technological challenge and specially adapted based on customer requests.
While well known for its high melting point, molybdenum and molybdenum alloys possess many additional properties that are useful in a number of applications:
- Symbol: Mo
- Category: Transition Metal, Group VI
- Atomic Number: 42
- Density: 10.28 g / cm3
- Discovered: 1778
- High melting temperature, 2620 °C
- Load bearing capabilities at temperatures up to 1600 °C
- Excellent thermal and electrical conductivity
- Low vapor pressure at high temperature
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion
- Resistance to corrosion
- Shielding from high energy particles
Purchase Online Now
We are a leading distributor of refractory metals and carbon fibers. We specialize in USA produced materials but understand our customer’s need for Asian materials in certain applications. We have developed a diverse supply chain with these suppliers to fulfill our customer’s needs across all industries.
To purchase materials now, just click the source you want and proceed online. Otherwise, we are happy to supply you a quote online or over the phone. Just use the contact forms on this page and we will be in touch.